This Story is dedicated To Matthew Palmer. You were my inspiration in life, and I shall never forget the love and laughter you spread. May I join you in heaven someday, wrapped in God’s embracing arms.
Characters
Xavier Theodore Mare -
Demeter Helena Machiavellian
Amorous Vidd Bravado
Chapter 1
Kids With Guns
She slipped through the crowd, gliding like a fish through its natural waters, flashing a brief smile at a familiar face or voice. The backpack behind her must have weighed a great deal, by the slight lean forward she assumed during the brisk power walk. The detached look suggested an upcomming test if not forgotten homework from the previous day, and if all hopes prevailed a boyfriend deciding to finally detach his clingy pathetic life from hers.
"Demeter?"
She continued to weave through the crowd, visibily oblivious to her name, had the situation been different I would have smiled. But not every cute situation deserves a smile of interest or curiosity. Some are just irritating. At this rate I would have to wait till class started and then proceed to pull her out of class. There would be witnesses instead of the sheilding cloak of a bustling hallway.
I walked into class and nodded at the teacher, then proceeded to check out as the bell tolled the usual fateful doom. In the hallway I checked my planner for her schedule, which I had copied down earlier that morning, further frustrated at the amount of walking it would take just to reach her. At the door I smiled at her teacher and cleared my throat, she immediately stopped and returned a warm smile.
"Good Morning Ms. Kreddulous, I wonder if it would be a terrible bother as to borrow Ms. Demeter?"
Demeter glanced up confused, her eyes flickered, her gaze sweeping me in a quick but efficient study.
"’Amorous, normally I wouldn’t mind, but Ms. Demeter is in the middle of a test currently."
I glanced at Demeter, her eyes cast downward at the test, pencil madly writing answers down. She stood up and placed the test upon the teacher’s desk and smiled sweetly.
"I believe we can indulge Amorous, I am quite finished with my test."
"Already Demeter?"
"I studied last night, and the test was multiple choice, I’m quite certain it is a perfect paper."
"Surely Ms. Kreddulous, I may borrow her now? My debate case just cannot be persuaded to wait any longer."
"Amorous, you are not Demeter’s partner, Guenneve Taylor is."
Demeter chose to make eye contact with her teacher now, and coughed softly.
"Ms. Kreddulous, if I may?"
"Of course Demi."
"’Amorous and I have a current business proposition we are engaging in. I help him with his debate case, and he helps prep me for my Trig tests. This has been going on for several weeks now… you may ask Guenneve."
"No Guenneve, I’m sorry I pressed the matter, you are free to speak with Amorous. Please attempt to return on a timely basis."
"Of course Ms. Kreddulous."
We walked in silence down towards the Golden Hawk Commons Area, when finally she spoke up.
"Why did I just lie to my teacher for you?"
"Because I have something for you, and a princess loves her gifts."
"I am not your princess."
"But are you anyone else’s?"
"I don’t have time for your ego and games."
"Of course not. But I heard you were having trouble with your boyfriend, and decided I would help sooth your pain… What are brothers for?"
I pulled the velvet lined box from my pocket and offered it to her. Her fingers stroked the box for a second, then dwelled upon the fine jewelry inside. The small silver heart glittered inside, gleaming with small turqoise diamonds, her eyes widened as the realization sunk the diamonds were real, and the silver was pure.
"…. Amorous, I cannot accept this… It would be wrong."
"No. It is merely a trinket bought by a caring brother to cheer his little sister from her love stricken worries."
I clasped the necklace around her neck, then turned her around to catch a glimpse of her eyes, gently I kissed her forehead and smiled. Demeter looked confused, but calm, so my work was done. A few more lavish gifts and constant support and comfort, she would play into my arms.
"Amorous, thank you."
"Anything for my baby sister."
I lead her back to class, ruffling her hair and joking around, Demeter sat back in her seat drowned in happiness. The teacher glanced at her expensive necklace then directed a quick smile at me, she had pieced it together but that was of no worry. The twit would forget it before the day was out.
The next morning, Demeter flung herself into a chair and started to work furiously upon a Trig assignment she hadn’t completed the night before. Her boyfriend sat beside her, constantly trying to grab her attention, irritating her further.
The twelve dozen white roses caught many an eye as I proceeded towards Demeter. I placed one in front of her, she glanced up sharply then smiled.
"Darling baby sister, it would seem my girlfriend has broken up with me… So to ease my pain I’ve bought you white roses to see you smile."
"Ahmmi!"
"Although I must admit, before we can continue in this lovely exchange. You WILL come with me now. You have homework to do, and the mutt can’t come along."
"Ahmmi…"
"I’m sorry. The puppy dog."
The boyfriend glared visciously, I met him evily with a stare that made him back down slightly. Her straightened up and started to speak in a mocking and commanding voice.
"So I suppose you’re the asshole that thinks he can just give my girlfriend expensive jewlery whenever he damn well pleases?"
"Yes, that would be me."
"AUSTIN! Ahmmi is just a friend! Jesus Christ you can be so possessive sometimes!"
The boyfriend, Austin, gawked helplessly at Demeter attempting to explain how I was actually in the wrong at this point in time and should back off.
"Muffin, what will people think??"
"Flipper what they think. I’m leaving. Come on Amorous."
Demeter had roughly jammed everything expect the white rose into her backpack, she cradled the rose carefully in one hand. We walked to her trig class in mutual silence, she debated some issue or another in her mind, occasionally glancing at one another.
"You shouldn’t irritate him."
"He shouldn’t be so possessive."
"You’re possessive too."
"Am not."
Artemis glanced up from the desk next to hers and smiled wryly at the incomplete assignment, then started to fill in the missing answers quickly and quietly. Demeter handed him a small slip of paper and we left the room.
"What was on the paper?"
"What time to pick me up."
"Pick you up?"
"Arty is the one actually helping me study for trig. Has the teacher asked, what she would have gotten was an affirmative from Gwen since she only knows that I’m working with a guy."
"Why can’t you just tell him?"
"It’s more fun this way."
Demeter winced slightly as she moved her shoulder backwards to stretch, she’d give it a quick rub and then try to hide it. I sat her in a chair and pushed the strap off her shoulder, revealing a rather large bruise, Demi pushed the strap up again quickly and tried to change the subject.
"What’s the bruise from?"
"Nothing. So are you ever gonna study with me in psyche?"
"If it as nothing then it wouldn’t be there."
"I got in a fight, okay?"
"With who?"
"Some girl who thought she had claims over Austin."
"Really?"
"Yes, I kicked her ass for it. I may not love the guy, but no one has the right to have him until I decide it’s not going to work out any longer."
"You going to break up with him anytime soon?"
"I already did. The fight was two days ago."
"So when did you break up with him?"
"Two days ago. He wasn’t telling her no."
"So why is he still around."
"Hell if I know, I wish there was a …. Oh hell here he comes now."
She acted like she didn’t even see him, I certainly didn’t since my back was towards him, fists clenching and unclenching. I debated helping her out in a way that was morally corrupt, but didn’t have to since someone intervened.
Maxwell Jaye Sanguine slipped between us then pulled Demeter close into a long movie style kiss. I looked around to make sure a teacher wasn’t around to hand them a detention for PDA and caught the satisfying sight of Austin sulking by the corner fuming at Max.
Max slipped his hands through Demi’s hair then kissed her again on the nose.
"Max – a – Million"
"Demi babe, howya been?"
"You keep it up and you’re gonna get us busted for PDA."
"That’s alright. Besides, I can’t contain my excitement, you finally got that dead weight off of you and you’re with a REAL guy now."
"I suppose you have a point."
Austin sulked around the corner, swearing to himself and most likely at Max under his breath, Max pulled away and started to laugh hysterically. Demeter smiled politely, noting the teacher watching now, and handed Max a small slip of paper folded in two. He put it into his pocket, then kissed Demeter on the cheek before walking off to his next class.
I didn’t bother to ask what was written on that sheet, figuring it was just another time, maybe some money. I left her in her classroom then wandered off to my first block, so far there was a small net of protection starting to form around Demeter, a net that would be hard to cut through.
Max stood in front of my class with a sleek grin, he was twirling his ID on the lanyard casually, waiting.
"Hello Amorous… I do believe we have a bit of a problem."
Max was waiting for me outside of my class, his face bruised up, he attempted a small grin but it was futile at best.
"Maxwell, are you okay??"
"So serious, it’s not like you. But to other matters…"
"Max, tell me what happened!"
"Lets take a walk shall we?"
"Thank you, you can go do your little dance in hell now."
Friday, February 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment